Electro hydraulic thruster is a device which employs a thrust or a force to operate the mechanism of the machine helping it to stop at the desired position. It is a three way or three phase supply device widely used to accurately thrusting the force to the machine.
What Are The Components?
This device takes the help of electrical energy as input and then converts this electrical energy into mechanical energy to provide the smooth application of linear motion. The key components of this device are as mentioned,
- 3 Phase electric motor
- A Piston
- A closed impeller driven by the electrical motor, and
- Transformer Oil which is needed for the smooth operation.
When the power is supplied to the thruster of the electric motor, the piston starts moving upward direction and lifts the movement of the piston which in returns operates the drum brake mechanism and the shoes of the brake mechanism allows the drum to rotate.
When the power supply is cut off, in that case, under the tension of the springs, the piston comes back to the original position. By doing this, the brake shoe gets pressed against the drum brake mechanism which does not allow the brake to rotate further. Hence, this is how the thruster brake works and stops the mechanism of the motor.
Advantages Of Using Electric Hydraulic Thrusters
Apart from the various applications of this thursters in the industry such as for crane, hoists, rolling mills, cement equipments, heavy engineering equipments, surface mining machine such as excavators, stackers and many other combination services, there are many other advantages to it, which are as follows,
- This device is quite user friendly
- Installation and maintenance are quite easy
- Service life is good
- Power consumption is also low
- Smooth movement of piston provides the jerk free thrust
- Less heat generation hence long life for motor
- Totally enclosed hydraulic system, and
- Controllable power and return stroke